A Letter to my best Gibz on his birthday



A Letter to My Best Gibz on His Birthday


So.
I’m not even sure where to begin this letter.
Can I start by saying that you are amazing?
Because you are.
And just in case no one ever tells you that, I’m telling you.
Many people don’t appreciate you as much as they should.
I hope that I’m not one of those people.
Because I love you.

Love.

if there were such a thing as soul mates, you may actually be mine.
We weren’t even supposed to be friends. Remember we called you SUPERMAN? UST College days?! Hehe! And if it weren’t for you and Albert looking for a house to rent (which is by the way, just across our boarding house) to live junior & senior year of college and scrambling for roommates, I’m not sure if I even would have met you.


image courtesy of Paul Quiambao


Thanks for adopting me and Alma and all of our barkada. God! How I miss waking you up by the doorbell. (The door with a bell+string!)  I will love you forever for that because I don’t know where I would’ve lived and stayed during junior & senior years and that would’ve sucked.


You. Get me.
Like really get me. Who else can I call when my depression is kicking my ass and I just need to cry without hearing “it will get better” or some bizarre deadly silence which reeks of pity.


You.
You do not tell me stupid things to try and make me feel better (because you know that with depression sometimes, there is no feeling better) in fact, sometimes you tell me that the day just maybe a shitty one and I can have a do-over tomorrow. And you listen to me cry and we share stories about how being depressed sucks but you are so amazing for accepting me as I am. 

You know how to step up. Wherever, whenever.
Remember that time that I was broke and you are always there for me? How you just wanted to make sure that I had what I needed - just for me? Not for bills, not for the baby, just for me?
You didn’t have to do that.
At all.
And that? To this day. I can repay you monetarily, but you will never truly understand what that meant to me.






Period.
You give great advice. The tough advice. The smart advice. The “that’s what I needed to hear at this moment” advice. The “I already knew the answer to that question, but I needed to hear it from someone else” advice. I’m not even sure if I give good advice ever. I hope I do.

I think that every friend serves a purpose in my life. I have a friend that’s great for this and a friend that’s great for that and another friend great for that. I keep my true friend circle small and close and I’m so glad that you’re in it. You’re like a family boy.

This letter is just a “Happy Birthday! I am so glad you were born” letter.
Enjoy your day.
You deserve it.
And if you ever need a left arm, or a kidney, or plasma- whatever. Call me.
You know why? Because I am convinced that you would do the same for me.







You are the person who helped and taught me to how to stand, move on, continue and enjoy life to the fullest. I am so blessed to have a best friend like you. I love you Gibz! 


- Rhodz

P.S.  I really miss those “ordinary days” with You, Alma, Jen, Julie, Sassie, Albert and Jeff.









Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...